Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Carrot Bread Puddin'

Bored with all the snow? Yeah, me too. There is only so much work, tv and sleeping I can handle with the snow outside, and I tend to have a voracious cabin fever appetite, so I decided to make a healthy dessert alternative! Here is the recipe for Kristen's Healthy Carrot Bread Puddin'

Here is what you need :
1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2 Large Eggs
1/4 cup of Canola Oil
1/2 cup of Apple Sauce-no sugar added
3/4 cup of Brown Sugar (I used a sugar substitute, like Stevia for Baking, it has zero calories!)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Fat Free Half and Half
1/2 small bag of shredded carrots.
Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until fully mixed. Take your baking dish, I use an 8 inch square baking pan, and I pour Sweetened Condensed milk to coat the bottom lightly, and then a light coating of the fat free half and half. Then I pour my puddin' mixture into the dish and pop it in the oven for about 40 minutes, 350 degrees. Test the cake with a knife or with a toothpick until it's no longer gooey in the middle.
If you let the cake cool, you can use your own homemade Cream Cheese Icing, or store bought Cream Cheese Icing. Can't wait? Poke a few holes in the cake using a fork, then take some sweetened condensed milk and pour it over the cake until the whole top of the cake is covered. You can use milk, half and half or condensed milk to pour lightly over the cake so there is a little moisture on the bottom of the cake. Grab a fork and enjoy this healthy treat!

5 comments:

K. Kiran Graves said...

on my way to try this recipe right now... will post the results. in the meantime... check out my blog, i hopw you'll stay

K. Kiran Graves said...

i made it! it turned out delicious. I made more of a bread rather than a puddin' though. visit my blog for pics.

Lisa R. Nelson, CWS said...

What a comfort for very snowy days! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

are you kidding me! that looks sooooo good! i am going to make it! right now! yummmmmy!

Jennifer Giles said...

I'm making this tonight for dinner...er, dessert. Yes, we will force ourselves to eat dinner first. I know the friends we're eating with will be thrilled even though Patrick thinks normally carrots taste like "earth." This will show him!