Saturday, September 27, 2008

Local Flavor: Atwaters in Belvedere Square

This is the first of an addition to the blog that will focus on good eats, and I'm calling it Local Flavor, since i'll mostly be reviewing places that are within a reasonable driving distance!

Despite living in the lovely Brandywine, I travel for work quite a bit, often finding myself in the Baltimore suburbs. No matter where I am in the Baltimore area, Towson, downtown, Canton, Timonium...I have to stop by Atwaters at Belvedere Square. I sing the praises of this tummy delight to anyone who loves organic food, fresh soups, lust-worthy breads and all around healthy, homemade goodness. I discovered Atwaters many years back through my friend and client, Steph, owner of The House Downtown. She warned me I would become addicted to Atwaters. And sure enough, after 4 years, I come up with zany excuses why I need to drive the hour plus to Baltimore for a sandwich. They have uncommon sandwich concoctions that are literally like biting into heaven. The soups feel like wholesome goodness, a hug from grandma and sunshine all in one bowl. The breads are multi-dimensional in flavor, with a flaky, outer crust and dense chewy goodness in the middle. The fillings, spreads and meats are killer-they make this turkey sandwich with a cranberry pineapple spread and brie cheese, and then there is there beyond the norm chicken salad. Nothing scary or frou frou, but whatever the make it with, it sure tastes dang good. Another thing I love about Atwaters is that everything they make is done so using local ingredients from area farmers. They even have a list on the daily menu that specifies which ingredients came from what local farm. Talk about fresh.


When you're done feasting at Atwaters, take a look around the Market. There are other wonderful vendors such as Ceriello fine meats, Planet Produce, Sushi, Smoked Meats, Juices and a Wine Shop, Grand Cru. Belvedere Square is also home to a number of great shops


If you find yourself in Baltimore, or even nearby, check out Atwaters. It's worth it. Every morsel of food made at Atwaters is delicious, gourmet food without any attitude. It's just plain good food.

1 comment:

Amanda B. Young said...

This is fantastic! I'm looking forward to more of these posts -- my relatives live in Baltimore/Towson so now I'll know the best places to eat when I visit!